Log in


recovering - Gall Bladder Issues

About recovering

Previous Entry recovering Jul. 3rd, 2011 @ 10:21 pm Next Entry
well, it's been three days since my gallbladder surgery and i'm recovering pretty well, i think. everything appears to have gone fine; i had a hard time breathing when i woke up, but it passed. it took some time for the nausea to pass and my bladder to wake up, so i was in day surgery recovering longer than i anticipated, but otherwise everything was 'normal.'

i just have a few questions for those of you who've had this done. first, how long does it take for this bloaty/gassiness to go away? this seems to be what's causing most of the pain right now (otherwise i'm mostly stiff and sore around the largest incision and it's awkward getting up from sitting.) i get sharp pains in my sides and back sometimes and it feels like gas.

second, my largest incision is kinda swollen. i'm assuming this is totally normal, but does it take very long to go down? a nurse in the day surgery ward said my incision was larger than normal, but i have no idea.

third, on what day after surgery were you instructed to removed the tapes? my instructions aren't really very clear. i think it says 10 days, but it's kinda hard to tell.

and thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts and been so encouraging. it's really appreciated. :)
Current Mood: soresore
Leave a comment
[User Picture Icon]
Date:July 4th, 2011 03:34 pm (UTC)
Glad you're doing sort of okay! It's still early days yet, so you will be very sore!
It will pass eventually when you get up and about properly, I think it took me at least three weeks and some pushing from my boyfriend. Give it a week and try short walks up the road if you're not too sore

If your incision is still very sore after a couple of weeks then phone the ward and explain this to them- I got a small infection in my belly button one that was cleared up with antibiotics. I'd also phone the ward with regards to when the tapes come off and check with them.
Hope everything goes okay and enjoy the rest!
[User Picture Icon]
Date:July 5th, 2011 12:40 am (UTC)
Walking about as much as you can will help with the gassiness, even it's just around the house. Massage can help too, especially in the shoulders.

Keep an eye on the incisions. If they continue to be reddish or anything else odd, call the doctor and ask. Never hurts to ask questions. If you're not sure it's getting better, do see the doctor. You may want to take pictures of them daily at the same time so you can see if it's getting better or not.

I think I was told to let the tape fall off by itself, but depends on what they used really. If not sure, wait until it falls off.

I'm glad things went well, recovering will be slow but will happen and you should feel better soon and be glad you had it donw.
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com